Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Africa Snowman



So here it is. Actual proof that it snows in Lesotho. After a month of complaining about the cold, here is a video of us playing in the snow.
This has been a busy month and I have already flown over 45 hours this month. In Lesotho where everything is so close I have already had over 135 landings so far And after every stop it means that I am unloading passengers or cargo, and then putting more passengers on who are returning to Maseru. It makes for a busy days work. Yesterday I took the 4 people on the doctor team to a village called Matekane. I couldn't pick them up in the afternoon because the airplane was being shaken around in what I would call extreme turbulence. I tried again this morning but could not even make it to the airstrip because of low clouds and not wanting to get closer to the ground in the turbulence. Well tonight they are snowed in and we are hoping that we can get the military helicopter in there tomorrow to get them out. They will have much more snow in the mountains than we do in Maseru and it will probably be a week before it melts enough to land at some of these airstrips.


5 comments:

Rebecca said...

White stuff?? Cold?? We miss playing in the snow, so it's fun to see you guys enjoying it. I hope you had some hot cocoa when you went inside! Love the pictures and video of your sweet family playing in the snow.

Okay, we believe you. It does snow in Africa!!

Blessings, Becca for the Cannons

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to be able to keep up with what you all are up to! I'm glad you're blogging. The snow looks fun... but I'll stick to our sun. :) Take care!

joshbeth said...

I love the video of Evi! I wish it was snowing here. It is too hot here now! We miss you guys! Talk to you soon. Love ya!

Love, Beth

Mark said...

I'm trying to find Matekane airstrip on Google Earth, but the village is so small it's not in GE's database. Do you happen to have the latitude and longitude for it?

Anonymous said...

29 55'44.54"S, 27 50'56.25"E